CentOS docs

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Jul 31 14:09:54 MST 2008

After a long battle with technology, keith smith wrote:
> I personally run Fedora and the webservers I work on run CentOS or RHEL.
> I am looking for a reference that will list the things I might need to know
> to manage a (web) server from the command line.  Is there such a thing or
> is it a crazy question?

Well, the Apache docs, of course :-) .  It depends a lot on what you're
running besides the web server (PHP, Tomcat, MySQL, whatever) and what your
users want.

> Today I ran into a situation where it appeared a directory was password
> protected by a .htaccess file.  I could not find it or figure out what was
> going on until the system administrator told me about the .htadmin file one
> directory below the document root.  So I learned about htpasswd.

That's one of the things that's in the Apache docs.  Get familiar with those;
it'll pay off.

> I've configured sudo users however I do not know how to restrict SSH access
> to only the users I want to be able to shell in.

If you have users who only need FTP access, you generally set those users'
shells to something like /etc/ftponly (which just echoes a banner and exits,
which also has to be in /etc/shells ) in /etc/passwd .  At least that's how
I've seen it done.  However, if you want to use SFTP/SCP, I think you may
have to have an actual shell.  Previously, we chrooted all ssh/scp users who
were just uploading/downloading files, but IIRC ssh doesn't come with chroot
support by default.  And chrooting people is a bit of a pain.

--
   The squirrels now live in fear of the magic exploding compost heap.
   --Dan Holdsworth