CentOS docs

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Jul 31 14:27:15 MST 2008

After a long battle with technology, Alex Dean wrote:
> keith smith wrote:
[snippage]
> On RPM-based distros like RHEL/Centos, you can use the RPM database to
> get more information.  'rpm -qf /usr/bin/ssh' will tell you which
> package /usr/bin/ssh belongs to.  then feed that package name into 'rpm
> -ql <packagename>' to find all files that are part of that package.
> This can often turn up documentation files in odd places you wouldn't
> have thought to look in.  I know there are equivalent commands for
> Debian/dpkg, but i don't know them offhand.

"apt-cache -f showpkg NAME" might be close to the rpm -qf/rpm -ql pipe.  I
don't know for sure as all I currently have running is Redhat/Gentoo
machines.  On Gentoo, that's "equery files NAME" to list all the files that
belong to package NAME.  If the documentation for a package isn't
in /usr/share/man/ or in /usr/share/doc/$PACKAGE/ , then I'd think that's a
bug in the package, but ICBW.

--
   "Cheer up, things could be worse."  So I cheered up, and sure enough,
   things got worse.