Weird X Problem

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Wed Jul 23 08:57:05 MST 2008

Patrick C wrote:
> Sounds like a problem with your video card (not enough video RAM?) or
> a specific application causing problems. The problem sounds like it
> would be difficult to diagnose with just this information. Do you use
> any "desktop effects"? What kind of video card do you have, what
> driver are you using? Also, is the video RAM shared? In that case, you
> could probably increase it without upgrading your hardware.
I definitely don't use any fancy effects. I find those to be more of an
annoyance than anything.
I will have to get back to you on the video card. It's a notebook so I'm
not sure what everything is. IIRC it had a fair bit of RAM It may
possibly be a problem with connecting up the two disparate monitors (3:4
and 9:16), the Philips external monitor being the limiting factor as far
as resolution is concerned.
The problem has never occurred without the docking station, and doesn't
always occur with it. I do suspect that it could be fixed with a
different driver or some Xorg configuration changes. As the price of
flat panels has decreased I will probably get one with matching
dimensions and hope it goes away.
Thanks!
Vaughn