Weird X Problem

Patrick C patrick.pxc.c at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 14:14:50 MST 2008

Sounds like a problem with your video card (not enough video RAM?) or a
specific application causing problems. The problem sounds like it would be
difficult to diagnose with just this information. Do you use any "desktop
effects"? What kind of video card do you have, what driver are you using?
Also, is the video RAM shared? In that case, you could probably increase it
without upgrading your hardware.

I had similar symptoms a few years ago, but I was on Windows. I upgraded the
video card on it for gaming/general performance with a cheap ($50),
previous-gen, low-end video card that had still had more video RAM and that
fixed the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if a higher resolution puts more
of a strain on the graphics card and that's why it shows up. Which monitor
is higher resolution? You should check to see if the problem persists with
the "bad" monitor without using the docking station, as well.