backup software recommendations?

Mike Bydalek mbydalek at compunetconsulting.com
Sun Jul 13 13:55:39 MST 2008

Alex Dean wrote:
> I need backup software for a home network.  Mix of Linux and OSX
> machines.  Will be using an external HDD for backup media.  The backup
> server will run on one of the OSX machines, since it's the only
> non-laptop I have.  I'm mainly looking for something that's easy to
> configure and has minimal resource consumption.

Have you looked at rdiff-backup (http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/)?
Personally, I like it because a) it uses the rsync algorithm, b) you can
restore files by copying them directly (compared to *having* to use the
backup utility to restore files) and c) you can run the backup as root
on the source server, but as a plain user on the backup server (little
more secure imo).

There are several web utilities to help out too.  Google around, but a
couple are listed at http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/rdiffbackupgui.htm

Just my 2c.

-Mike