OT: New Law In Texas Requires PI License for Computer Techs

Richard Daggett richard-daggett at daggettdesign.com
Fri Jul 4 12:28:14 MST 2008

The law states you need a PI License if you (I may be reading this wrong).

"  (b)  For purposes of Subsection (a)(1), obtaining or
   furnishing information includes information obtained or furnished
   through the review and analysis of, and the investigation into the
   content of, computer-based data not available to the public."

So you only have to deal with this if you are working for PI or if a PI ask
you to look at somebody's computer.

Article about the Law:
http://cw33.trb.com/news/kdaf-062608-computerspelpina,0,486476.story

The article at the bottom has a interview with State Rep Joe Driver and he
explains that it does not affect most shops.

Copy of the new Law:
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/html/HB02833F.htm

Richard