OT: New Law In Texas Requires PI License for Computer Techs

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 12:16:13 MST 2008

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net> wrote:
> After a long battle with technology, Joshua Zeidner wrote:
>>  Not sure if this kind of law will find its way to AZ, but
>>  http://www.gearlog.com/2008/06/new_texas_law_requires_pi_lice.php
>
> "The name's Route.  Trace Route.  I got eight slugs in me.  One's lead, the
> rest are WordPress.  The blog packs a wallop, and I pack a Leatherman.  I'm a
> private eye.  And a computer tech."
>
> ...with most strange laws, the first thing to do is to follow the money.  Does
> some campaign contributor have a stake in a criminal-justice degree granting
> school?  Or is this a ham-fisted way to make techs legally responsible for
> misuse of customer's personal data?

  From what I have read, not only will all techs be required to get a
PI license (that requires either a law enforcement degree of some kind
or apprenticeship), but it is a punishable offense for someone to
purchase services from an unlicensed shop!  In this environment it is
relatively easy for the courts to bar a person from the tech services
market (revoke their PI license).  What qualifies as this class of
services is anyones guess (web dev?).

  -jmz

--

 - http://www.joshuazeidner.com/