Server failover

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 3 09:32:22 MST 2008

Hi,

I am looking at how to monitor a web server so I can be notified preferably by email, however a phone call would be cool, if port 80 or port 443 is not responding or if DNS is not working.  I'm hoping to find a way to do this without human intervention, ie software.

Also I am looking for information on how I might be able to mirror one server onto another and set them up so if the main server dies the second server will take over automatically.

The mirroring would require the website content itself and the MySql data.

Now if I had 3 servers would I be able to do this by having them all three working as a "farm" to serve up multiple website?

Is it possible to do this on a small budget?

Thanks so much for your insight and feedback.

Keith

Keith Smith
(520) 207-9877
PHP Programmer