OT: accounting via spreadsheet

alex at crackpot.org alex at crackpot.org
Mon Jan 28 09:47:00 MST 2008

Once upon a time I had the job of integrating QuickBooks data with our
online order processing system (PHP/MySQL application).  We set up
scripts to periodically dump relevant QB data, parse it, and import it
into our order-processing database so  we could base reports on it.
Serious PITA.

QuickBooks can export data in IIF format (Intuit Interchange Format).
This is semi-documented on their website, though that may only be
accessible for 'enterprise' customers.  The file format has gone
through numerous changes, and if I remember correctly it's even
different for different versions of QB.

IIF is basically tab-delimited, so if you can get the exports working
you should be able to read the file and see what's what.  (Though
you'll still have a job to get that transformed into something you can
actually work with.)  It's been about 5 years since I did this, and
I've since changed jobs, so I don't have access to the details
anymore.  Just thought that might at least give you a new set of terms
to Google for.

alex