OT: accounting via spreadsheet

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 28 09:39:18 MST 2008

I share your concerns and you make a good point.  Isn't the quickbook data format public knowledge?  I'm not familiar with QuickBooks, however I would expect you can export your data in comma or tab delimited format.

I'm in the same boat.  I used paper ledgers last year.  Not very effective.  I'm looking for a solution that will provide me more info and greater ease of use.

It is my understanding most accountants want you to use QuickBooks.

To me it is a decision of time and money.  I need an effective solution that will not cost me hours and hours to come up with.  My spreadsheet formula skills are very minimal.

If I were to build something I would probably make is browser based and it would take hours and hours to create.

I will be wrestling with this next week!

"der.hans" <PLUGd at LuftHans.com> wrote: Am 28. Jan, 2008 schwätzte keith smith so:

> In thinking of using a spreadsheet I think of two things. 1) fexability 2) the cost in time of creating the spreadsheets, formulas etc.
>
> Might be more cost effective to just buy quickbooks.

It is not more risk-effective to put my business data into a proprietary
format I can't read. Not being risk-effective means it's also not
cost-effective.

It's my data, I don't want it held hostage.

Not trying to lambast you, just pointing out that monetary cost of the
software is not the primary problem. In fact the monetary cost of the is
mostly irrelevant.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Your email is being read by hundreds of uptight agents
#  who never saw the humor in Dr. Strangelove. -- Mark Russell---------------------------------------------------

Keith Smith
(520) 207-9877
PHP Programmer