Semi-OT: Referral for Linux-friendly accountant

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Jan 22 13:44:49 MST 2008

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Vaughn Treude wrote:

> Randy Melder wrote:
>> Why stop at GNU Cash? You could always hand-write your ledgers,
>> invoices, P&Ls, and Balance Sheets. Then you're truly liberated.
>>
>> I mean, why give them more money? They've stolen from you at least
>> $250 over the last 10 years. Those evil-doers. How can anyone run a
>> business with thieves like that?

chuckle -- I *still* run an 'ancient' Windows 95 box, which
has moved through multiple chassis and hard drives (using
rsync to move the entire system image from a failing drive to
the next one [three such moves so far], and 'grub' to select
booting into the W95 image rather than the Linux (CentOS)
installation), __just__ for QuickBooks, and the laser check
MICR printing print filter program I have used.

As I have accounting data going continuously back to 1992 from
when I formerly used an earlier TUI Quicken, I am not eager to
move from something that does not match those abilities.

> But it's not the money, it's the ownership of data issue. I
> would willingly pay twice as much [$1000 was quoted] for a
> program that would extract the data from QB and put them
> into an open format than to get the QB update.

Writing such an extractor is clearly doable (and as we shall
see in a moment with the emergence of a SDK, and a willingness
to move to later versions), probably not _that_ hard to do.

I need that laser check printing capability, and want two way
import /export, though ;)

I have offered bounties in the past;  this thread from #centos
at irc.freenode.net months ago; I affirm and renew it here.

15:13 orc_orc> LoF^[Lawbringer]: not at all -- I don't use
Windows at all and in the main have not since 1995, except for
a lone Win95 box printing MICR checks in QuickBooks on an
isolated subnet

15:14 * Evolution shows orc_orc the wonders of gnu-cash

15:14 Zathrus> Evolution: quickbooks != quicken

15:14 orc_orc> Evolution: will it catch Windows printer driver
calls and do HP LJ 6 font substitutions to print MICR ink
checks directly? [the thought being to set QB up inside Wine]

15:15 Evolution> orc_orc: probably not.

15:15 orc_orc> if so, and if it can read the backfiles in QB,
I am so gone

15:15 @hughesjr> orc_orc: it will if you take the source code
and write something to do that :P

15:15 orc_orc> hughesjr: I will do so in my copious spare
time  ;)

15:17 orc_orc> I hereby offer a standing bounty of $400 for
addition of those two features to gnucash, with conformance
tests being acceptance of checks by my bank's clearance engine
without reject; and import, use, export and availability of my
QB company data

[Intuit formerly published a 'qif' -- quickbooks interchange
format for (hopefully) lossless imports and exports; but to my
understanding has moved to a SDK, in an 'Intuit Developers
Network': http://developer.intuit.com/ -- I suspect my version
is 'too early' per the supported version chart at:
http://developer.intuit.com/QuickBooksSDK/Briefing/?id=110]

15:23 orc_orc> Evolution: yes -- and a filter can solve that,
Zathrus: there is a prefectly fine MICR font for latex, and
with [LaTeX] miniboxes, one can control positioning just fine
-- trick is to add a filter/interpreter and I have not done it
or tasked a PFY -- thus the bounty offer

===================================

I was thinking then of the bounties which appear from time
to time in the 'wine' project and Code Weavers CrossOver
space: http://www.codeweavers.com/

The QuickBook series is largely supported; the laser print
queue interceptor I use is _very_ Windows printer queue
internals specific, and not listed
 	http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?letter=q;

I have no problem 'paying' for open source development;
This question about a 'business ready' replacement or
companion to QB has come up a couple times on this list;  the
'downside risk' need to be able to 'export from QB' the
accountant review copies {and the less difficult laser check
printing MICR issue} are my stoppoints.

Perhaps this list can get a large enough mass of 'bounties'
together?

http://www.gnucash.org/ is dead atm for me, although the
domain is not expired, so I cannot cruise and see of there is
a wider community of bounties may already be already present
there.

-- Russ herrold