OT: Laptop power connector servicing?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jan 19 15:25:51 MST 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 12:34 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> I have a friend with a loose power connector on his laptop.  I probably
> just needs to be opened up and soldered back in place.  The places he
> has contacted about doing this simply offer to replace the motherboard
> without even looking if that is needed.
>
> Does anyone know of a computer service or electronics repair place that
> reputably does this sort of repair?
----
I don't think a reputable place would ever suggest such a thing is
possible. The power supply connector has both a physical stop and is
directly mounted on the motherboard and once it has been broken, a
solder repair would only be temporary at best and represent the type of
repair that would give a shop a bad name.

That of course is a massive generalization without looking at it but
considering the amount of time/skill/energy it takes just to get a look
it's very fair.

Craig