not ipcop?

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Sat Jan 19 07:35:58 MST 2008

Michael,

BSD can read and write ext2 fine. Last I checked OpenBSD couldn't do
ext3. But if you've got some temporary storage you can tar up the
contents are untar them into the new place.

OpenBSD is my personal preference. Many people do prefer others. I like
OpenBSD because it's secure, pretty easy to understand once you get used
to where the documentation is (the man pages & FAQ, not HOWTOs), and
being that I'm a software developer I like the code better.

Now that I've said all that, I have some concerns about you switching
from Linux to OpenBSD for something critical. First, you've spent years
learning and using Linux. Though Linux and *BSD are Unix-like there are
differences. There's going to be a learning curve. While there are
people here who can help (including me), we are fewer in number than the
rest of the good people here.

I'd feel a lot better if you had a machine you could try this on without
it being something you need to have "in production" right away.

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 10:41:42PM -0700, Michael Havens wrote:
> will I be able to retain my linux home directory on bsd?
> In addition I'm thinking it should be used to store the email I wish to retain
> (that's a server?).
> so you are thinking openbsd. why not free or college or any of the other
> incarnations?
>
> On Friday 18 January 2008 8:35 am, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> > OpenBSD for a firewall makes all kinds of sense. It's incredibly secure,
> > right out of the box. It comes standard with many network daemons that
> > are very useful. Really, the security and networking stuff that comes
> > standard with OpenBSD make it difficult to beat. You can do a default
> > install and leave it on the internet and go on vacation and come back to
> > an uncompromised box. It's also fairly lean, so it'll run fine on old
> > hardware.
> >
> > The only reason I didn't recommend it before on this thread is that
> > you're all familiar with Linux, and administering/securing/maintaining
> > an OS you know well is better than borking up something you're not
> > familiar with.
> >
> > If you're looking for a point&click or web-config firewall then don't
> > bother with OpenBSD. If you don't mind the command line, editing config
> > files in a text editor, etc., then OpenBSD makes a *wonderful* edge box.
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 05:43:50AM -0700, Michael Havens wrote:
> > > BSD? WHy would you recomend that over Clark Connect?

Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |  Daemons in the Desert   |  Global BUG Federation