Laptop

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed Jan 16 21:32:51 MST 2008

Michael Havens wrote:

> I forgot to mention that I wish to be able to use the firewall remotely.....
> save files to it... etc.....

Don't use IPCop then.  It is not designed for that use.  Something like
Clark Connect would be better for that.  But...

- There is a learning curve about ports and other security issues, even
with Clark Connect or similarly capable distribution.  Don't let that
discourage you.  Use it as a learning opportunity.

- There is great value in not putting any extra services on your
firewall.  Not the least of which is that every service you put on it
makes it less secure by opening a possible avenue of attack.  You can do
it, but learn and understand what you are doing so you are not left open.

Alan