Laptop

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed Jan 16 21:27:52 MST 2008

Michael Havens wrote:
> well..... there are 2 things that it may be.... a:
> 	Stelite M35X-S114
> or a
> 	PA3416U-1MPC

Heavens!  You have a superb gift!

Satellite M35X-S114 is the model number.
- Intel Celeron® M Processor 350 [1.3GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 400MHz FSB]
- Intel 855GME Chipset
- Configured with 256MB
- 40GB (4200 RPM). Enhanced IDE (ATA-6) hard disk drive; 9.5mm height;
user removable
- Fixed Bay CD-RW/DVD drive
- 15” diagonal TFT active-matrix LCD display at 1024x768 native
- Modem
- Wireless B/G
- etc...

Don't use it as a firewall!  At least, I wouldn't.

> Is there no way to figure this out without swapping out parts?
>
> Well, upon Stu's advice I loaded XUbuntu and find that I can mount the hard
> drive and view it's contents. I am unsure as to what this means. My father
> tried the restore disk to no avail. Does this mean that it is no longer any
> good as a windows box yet is good as a linux box.

The first blocks of the hard drive could be bad or have just been wiped
out.  I am puzzled that a restore disk couldn't handle restoring it if
they were just wiped.

If Linux can read the contents, and you care about them, back up what
you care about and attempt a clean Linux install.  That's what I would
do.  If that doesn't work, buy a new hard drive.  For that relatively
small cost you have an excellent notebook!

> I do appologize for not being specific enough. I mean as a dedicated firewall.
> I was looking at the distrowatch you pasted for me and it seems as if ipcop
> is the only one I know anything about; however, I was intrigued with
> Devil-Linux (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=devil)
> (http://www.devil-linux.org/home/index.php). Does anyone have any experience
> with this?

IPCop is very good.  I don't have experience with Devil-Linux.

> Cool, the laptop has a wireless card preinstalled. What I am thinking I'll do
> with my tower is use it as the firewall and wireless router as my wife also
> is getting a laptop at some point soon.
> How do I scan the area for open connections until I get the router going?

Um, use the wired connection till you have your own wireless.  Unless
you have the permission from a neighbor to use their wireless, don't
piggy-back on someone else.  (Don't take that as a "holy" attitude.  I
have done such a few times.  It is not good to do, in my opinion.)

Alan