Laptop

stu wien33 at cox.net
Wed Jan 16 13:39:18 MST 2008

On Wednesday 16 January 2008 2:34 pm, Michael Havens wrote:
> My dad got a new laptop (toshiba satelite) because his hd (?) died. BIOS
> loads and then it says:
>  	'Load Error!
> 	'Press a key to reboot.'
> The HD ia an HTS424040m9at00-(pm). Anyone have anything that will work?
> Does this sound like a symptom of a failed hard drive? Along those same
> lines it looks as if I now have a firewall as the laptop is now mine. Which
> distro is designed for being a firewall? What do you recommend? Should I
> get a wireless card for the tower or a wireless router? If I get the router
> will I need the old comnputer to use as a firewall or not..... hmmmmm....
> do I even need a firewall?
>
> All advice is appreciated!

Personally, I would start by running a Live Distro like DSL on the laptop and
see if it can access the HD. If so, load the Linux distro of your choice on
it. If not, well, geeks.com has some smokin' deals on laptop drives right now
and they're fairly easy to replace.
You could use a wireless card in the tower to set up an Ad Hoc thing with the
laptop, but IMHO it would be easier to set up a wireless router with a
firewall in it. WEP keys with MAC addys are easy and fairly secure.
As for the rest, I'll leave that to these guys who actually know what they're
talking about.
--
Microsoft needs people who can do as they're told...
GNU/Linux needs people who can TELL as they DO!