Question about Virtual Machine systems

James Lee Bell nuclear-cowboy at cox.net
Mon Jan 14 23:53:11 MST 2008

The other direction one can go, if settling upon usage of VMware, is to
use the free vmware converter to create a VM from existing install,
which unfortunately is windows only AFAIK. This means that conversion
must happen either from the system to be copied itself after installing
the converter, or another win machine into which you temporarily
transplant the drive.

Using these tools and having a large enough and accessible mapped drive
or CIFS/SMB share (wish it had even FTP or SFTP but no such luck), you
can get a good clone of it and not as many license or device issues as
technomage-hawke mentions.  VMWare Player and server are free also. I've
just done this with my work laptop and other than getting dual monitors
working with Ubuntu things are fine.

Now, as for more FOSS type vm software, I don't know of any of them with
similar conversion capabilities, which puts you into the "install
windows from scratch into VM" bucket that he mentions.