Beware of Microsoft bearing gifts?

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Thu Jan 10 15:20:14 MST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 14:45 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Marvin O Fretwell wrote:
> > http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20080109/tc_infoworld/94485;_ylt=A9G_R3rg1YRHQzkBYwojtBAF
> >

> > §         *Next-gen OLPC laptop to support both Linux, Windows
> > <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/junskqsosYhbhCCibvadPiZx?format=standard>
> > **Microsoft* <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/junskqsosYhbhBCibvadEKUy> has
> > teamed up with the One Laptop Per Child project to make Windows
> > available on the low-cost machines, by offering a dual-boot function
> > that supports both the Linux OS and Windows. The company also is working
> > with OLPC to bring together the laptops with some of the Microsoft-run
> > educational programs available in developing countries. Yahoo!/InfoWorld
> > <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/junskqsosYhbhCCibvadPiZx?format=standard>
> > (1/9)
>
> Except: http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1096
>
> "Microsoft denies dual-boot Linux/Windows XO laptops are on its agenda"
>
> I think I remember this happening about a year ago with Negroponte
> claiming MS is working with OLPC and then MS denying it.  I think
> Negroponte needs to wait for partners to make announcements with him (or
> evilly before him[1]) so he doesn't keep wearing egg on his face.
----
come on now, think about it...Nicholas Negroponte...who's your bro?

Actually, it's entirely reasonable for Microsoft to get into the act. I
thought that they had contributed financially and if they want to donate
some version of the Windows OS and can make it work, why shouldn't they
be able to? I guess I'm wondering what the fuss is actually about. Are
people so virulently anti-Microsoft that they feel no good can come out
of their involvement in the project?

Actually, Red Hat is also actively working with Intel on their project
so there will be some fairly diverse offerings and it's all a rather
curious that all of this corporate innovation is being driven by
corporate philanthropy...or is it?

Craig