Beware of Microsoft bearing gifts?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Thu Jan 10 14:45:57 MST 2008

Marvin O Fretwell wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20080109/tc_infoworld/94485;_ylt=A9G_R3rg1YRHQzkBYwojtBAF
>

> §         *Next-gen OLPC laptop to support both Linux, Windows
> <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/junskqsosYhbhCCibvadPiZx?format=standard>
> **Microsoft* <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/junskqsosYhbhBCibvadEKUy> has
> teamed up with the One Laptop Per Child project to make Windows
> available on the low-cost machines, by offering a dual-boot function
> that supports both the Linux OS and Windows. The company also is working
> with OLPC to bring together the laptops with some of the Microsoft-run
> educational programs available in developing countries. Yahoo!/InfoWorld
> <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/junskqsosYhbhCCibvadPiZx?format=standard>
> (1/9)

Except: http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1096

"Microsoft denies dual-boot Linux/Windows XO laptops are on its agenda"

I think I remember this happening about a year ago with Negroponte
claiming MS is working with OLPC and then MS denying it.  I think
Negroponte needs to wait for partners to make announcements with him (or
evilly before him[1]) so he doesn't keep wearing egg on his face.

Alan

[1] http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=7485