UNetBootIn

Mike Storke storkus at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 04:40:26 MST 2008

Chip, I got my hands on a very old laptop as well: a Hitachi E100 with
16 MB RAM and a P1-100 non-MMX.  Win-95 1st edition is currently
installed on it, and the screen is mostly ok.

The problem is that this is a sub-notebook: no cd-rom, which was meant
to be an external unit like yours.  Since I can't find it, I finally
got
my hands on a Backpack parallel-port drive.  Assuming it will boot off
CD, this is a definite possibility.  The thing is, I can't remember
what
year the El-Torito standard came out.

Then I came up with option 2, which I've also read about elsewhere:
get a 3.5 to 2.5 inch PATA adapter and install the drive as a slave in
desktop computer.  You can do anything you want with it now.

In addition, I found a good deal on the 100 MB drives used in this
thing (4 bucks!) so I got a couple and will just install onto a fresh
drive, keeping the original Win-95 drive separate.

I haven't done the install yet (one of these days...) but will
eventually.  The tough part is whether even DSL (Damn Small Linux)
can get X and Mozilla working in just 16 megs of ram.  If not, oh well.

You didn't mention the specs of your machine, but I hope these ideas
will help.

Mike

P.S. For everyone else that helped me before, thanks: I think DRI is
     working, but my hardware (especially the bus) is just too slow.
     Still got a good deal I think, though.
     Now to get Linux on this new laptop of mine (Acer Aspire 5520-5912
     from Wal-Mart: Turion X2 1.9 GHz 2 GB ram nforce 610M IGP
w/Geforce
     7000M integrated and...oh, yeah, vista and the m$ tax...)