UNetBootIn

chip33az at netscape.net chip33az at netscape.net
Tue Jan 8 14:02:47 MST 2008

I have a fairly old laptop that uses a special cable for the CD-ROM
(which I can't find).  I wanted to put Linux on it and it currently has
Windows 2000 installed.

I thought about doing the netinstall from Debian, but wanted to try
something different so I went to
http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html and tried a Fedora 8 install.

I ran the Gparted Distro first and that worked well and I was able to
shrink my Windows partition.

I then ran the Fedora install.  It did take quite a bit of time (about 1
1/2 hours) just to get the OS installed.  It was even longer for the
updates (and I thought yum was faster this release).

I don't know if I would recommend this for an install every time, but
without a CD/DVD it sure came in handy.