IPTables Intermittent Stopping

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 11:51:03 MST 2008

On 1/7/08, Jay <jay at kinetic.org> wrote:

> I have dozens of servers, all of them running the most recent Debian
> stable branch and pretty basic iptables instances. All are working well
> except for two of them... On these two problem servers, iptables seems to
> be intermittently stopping and starting. There is nothing in the system
> logs to indicate such, but I can see it when port scanning the servers.
>
> The servers' iptables rules are set to allow connections on TCP 25, 53,
> 80, and 443, then block everything else. When doing a simple nmap scan of
> the servers, and everything is working, the scan takes a few minutes, it
> shows these four ports open, and everything else **filtered**. When
> everything is not working, the nmap scan happens in just a couple of
> seconds, it shows another open port (TCP/111 - I do have this service
> running on the servers), plus the four expected open ports, and everything
> else **closed**.
>
> I can do 10 nmap scans back-to-back, and about half of them will show
> ports filtered, while the other half will show ports closed (and the extra
> open port). This tells me that iptables on these two servers is
> intermittently stopping, then intermittently starting again.

  That is not really a safe assumption.  Nmap is not really that
accurate of an instrument.  If you are concerned for some other
reason, I would try logging your packets with iptables an see if you
get anything interesting.  If your network is not exhibiting any
problems, then I wouldn't assume that you have one just because Nmap
is giving a wierd readout.  You can also try other monitoring tools
like SATAN and SAINT and see if they give you similar results.
http://www-arc.com/sara/

  -jmz