Boot Camp (was Re: Jan topics?)

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Fri Jan 4 11:07:39 MST 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 10:56 -0700, David Bendit wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 08:17:36 -0700, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
> wrote:
> > what
> >>
> >> Do you mean that working installations of BootCamp on Tiger will no
> >> longer work?
> >>
> >> FYI, last I remember, prior to Leopard BootCamp was not offically
> >> released and was only available as beta. That may have changed, but
> >> that's how it was a few months ago when I installed it to dual boot.
> > ----
> > yup - beta expired - thanks for playing along - better luck next time.
> >
> > the fix, buy Leopard upgrade and you get non-beta (and currently
> > un-expired) version of BootCamp.
>
> While I do agree that Apple 'expiring' the beta was a bad move, the big
> difference now is that they officially support it. If there's a problem
> (with BootCamp, not Windows, of course), Apple's tech support is now
> required to help. Likewise, when problems are found and reported, it's a
> lot more likely that Apple's going to go and fix them now.
>
> Of course, what a lot of people don't realize is that, with a little
> searching, you can find the BootCamp files taken out of Leopard ;)
----
A bad move? That surely is one way of looking at it. If it weren't Apple
doing it, some might think of it as extortion.

see threads...

Sccts guy contradicts RIAA document
What the RIAA really said
It's become illegal to turn on your computer

Apple would likely find it to be actionable but I know you aren't
suggesting that someone actually perform the searching and install these
copies of BootCamp that they might find.

Craig