Boot Camp (was Re: Jan topics?)

David Bendit DarkElf109 at ibendit.com
Fri Jan 4 10:56:04 MST 2008

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 08:17:36 -0700, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 08:11 -0700, Darrin Chandler wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 10:56:24PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
>> > be sure to cover how to upgrade to Leopard because you can't use
>> > BootCamp any longer if you are using Tiger...planned obsolescence,
> what
>> > a concept.
>>
>> Do you mean that working installations of BootCamp on Tiger will no
>> longer work?
>>
>> FYI, last I remember, prior to Leopard BootCamp was not offically
>> released and was only available as beta. That may have changed, but
>> that's how it was a few months ago when I installed it to dual boot.
> ----
> yup - beta expired - thanks for playing along - better luck next time.
>
> the fix, buy Leopard upgrade and you get non-beta (and currently
> un-expired) version of BootCamp.

While I do agree that Apple 'expiring' the beta was a bad move, the big
difference now is that they officially support it. If there's a problem
(with BootCamp, not Windows, of course), Apple's tech support is now
required to help. Likewise, when problems are found and reported, it's a
lot more likely that Apple's going to go and fix them now.

Of course, what a lot of people don't realize is that, with a little
searching, you can find the BootCamp files taken out of Leopard ;)

-David Bendit