Dell Ubuntu boot files missing

Erich Newell erich.newell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 14:24:04 MST 2008

The last time that happened to me, there was an update to only the i386
kernel which is installed by default. I run either the "generic" or a custom
kernel on all my machines. When the i386 kernel was updated, it was moved to
the 1st rank in /boot/grub/menu.lst

Make sure you are still booting the same kernel...the restricted drivers are
dependent on it.

If that's not it, then it demands closer inspection.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Harold <hmichels01 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> My fairly new Dell Inspirion 530 is running Ubuntu 7.10
>
> The system seemed to be running correctly this afternoon.
>
> When I booted it up last night a pop-up window said that Ubuntu is
> running in low graphics mode
>
> It ould not let me set it at better than 800x600.
> I had been running about 1200 x something.
>
> When logged into sudo and listed my /boot directory to check on the
> settings is empty.
>
> I tried to look at the log files but there are so many I do not know
> where to start.
> The file user.log gives the same messages I have been getting for the
> last month at least:
>
> Feb 27 21:32:35 dell dhcdbd: message_handler: message handler not found
> under /com/redhat/dhcp/eth0 for sub-path eth0.dbus.get.nis_servers
>
> which I do not understand.
>
> The machine did boot into Gnome desktop.
>
> Any suggestions on where to start?
>
> Do I need to reload Ubuntu completely or can I copy files in to restore
> correct operation?
> Have I picked up a bug I need to be concerned about?
>
> Harold

"A man is defined by the questions that he asks; and the way he goes about
finding the answers to those questions is the way he goes through life."