Ubuntu in low graphics mode (was: Dell Ubuntu boot files missing)

Harold hmichels01 at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 28 13:11:12 MST 2008

Thanks Ted,

I think the low graphics resolution is a symptom rather than the actual
issue.

I do not know if the graphics driver is present or not.
I think if it is missing I can get it downloaded myself.

I believe the the driver is not being called because all of the scripts
that load the system are either missing or are not being made available
to the system on bootup.

The /boot folder/directory has only the dot and dot dot files in it.
There is no GRUB folder, no scripts, nothing.

I have since discovered that /etc/mtabs is missing, preventing me from
mounting my external drive to back up my data. Joy after joy.

I am not sure how the thing is booting since it was my understanding the
GRUB loads everything else in.

Harold