installing from ISO file

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 22:57:53 MST 2008

On Feb 18, 2008 1:02 PM, cary mabe <cary.mabe at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello again!  It has been a while since I posted, mostly time spent
> "playing" with my comp and learning new things by the minute.  I have a
> question that I hope someone here can answer.  I have been trying umpteen
> different distros and also dual and triple-boot setups on my comp and I've
> run across a flavor of ubuntu that I can only install from DVD. . . . and
> DVD readers I have none.  BUT I do have the ISO file downloaded to install
> to DVD.  Here's the question. . . can I install the the new OS directly from
> the ISO file on my hard drive?  and if so could someone give me a short
> HOWTO or mebbe point me to a link that will explain it?  Many thanks in
> advance, you guys and girls are slowly aiding me in my quest to become the
> ubergeek.
>
> Cary

Actually, my bet is that like the usual LiveCD, you need to boot from
the DVD to run the ubuntu live as well as if you want to install it.
So while I believe there is a way to mount the .iso image I do not
believe there is any way to boot from it without creating a DVD from
the .iso.

OTOH, DVD writers are a dime a dozen and failing that you could move
the .iso to something like an external drive to transport it to a
machine that has a DVD burner.

BTW, I suspect the DVD image is either one that can install multiple
flavours of ubuntu or has more stuff from the repositories than the
CD.  If the latter, it just means there is more you can install that
is likely to be dated.
--
Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only
animal that is struck with the difference between what things are and