Memory limit.

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Feb 15 16:07:11 MST 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 15:40 -0700, Matt Graham wrote:
> From: Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
> > On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 14:49 -0700, jordi laforge wrote:
> > > XP has a 4gig memory limit. Does anyone know what it is for Linux?
> > 1 - use a 64 bit OS (I believe that there is a Windows XP 64 bit version
> > available) and there are definitely 64 bit versions of Win2K3 (server)
> > and of course Linux
>
> ...and the XP64 support is apparently not great for some^W a bunch of
> things.  x86_64 Linux is much better in this regard, but there are still
> a few things that are harder than they should be, like getting Java
> working in Firefox.  One thing (epsxe) doesn't work *at all* on x86_64
> Linux.
----
I have no experience with 64 bit Windows of any flavor so I can't add
much other than from what I have read, it is still a less than optimal
experience.

64 bit Linux has been rather good (Fedora 7/Fedora 8) but yes, I don't
believe that you can get Java applet to run inside a 64 bit version of
Firefox. If that is needed, you can install the 32 bit versions of
Firefox and say Sun's JRE/JDK. Oddly enough, the 32 bit Flash plugin
works with nspluginviewer.

I have had some niggling little issues on Fedora 7/8 with the x86_64 but
they are small things like not being able to install Mozilla.org's
Lightning extension into 64 bit version of Thunderbird...but these are
small details.
----
> > I believe that there are some PAE kernel extensions
>
> With PAE, you can have 64G total, but each process will be able to use a
> max of about 3.5G.  PAE is also slower than going with a flat address
> space.  Note that YMMV, and HTH,
----
It is however, an option. Myself, I would opt for 64 bit version if the
processor is capable.

Craig