Web Filter

Ben Francom bfrancom at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 21:26:47 MST 2008

>  Are you installing some other filter program? A dedicated linux system for
>  filtering such as Endian, or what?
Dedicated *nix system running Squid + SquidGuard

>  It does not have to update all the time, but occassional updates rather than
>  re-installing the system every 6 months as with the endian updates would be
>  kind of nicqe.
Just update with your distro.  Most have squid/squidGuard in their
repos.  Shalla blacklists can be scripted automatically to download.

>  The system I am installing it on is a celeron 1300 with 256 ram.
>  While sufficient, in the past it has not been the greatest for phrase
>  filtering, so I am primarily interested in banning ip and site lists, though
>  phrase lists would be nice as well.
Neither squid nor squidGuard do phrase filtering, but we have had good
success with using blacklists and whitelists.  We run it at a school
with a whitelist for the students (nationalgeographic.com,
wikipedia.org) and blacklists for the teachers.

It is extremely fast:
100,000 requests in 10seconds on a 500MHz Pentium with lists of
      5900 domains
      7880 urls
    13780 total
see: http://www.squidguard.org/about.html