Web Filter

Nathan Aubrey nathan at paysonlinux.org
Thu Feb 14 19:33:20 MST 2008

All,

I have been using Endian firewall on a computer just for the built in Dans
Guardian web filtering for our church. Endian does not update the dans
guardian, and from what I see on the web site they suggest being part of a
pay for service or doing some other scripts that automatically update things.

Before I jump through the hoops of a dans guardian system, I wanted to ask
what others are using...

Are you installing some other filter program? A dedicated linux system for
filtering such as Endian, or what?

It does not have to update all the time, but occassional updates rather than
re-installing the system every 6 months as with the endian updates would be
kind of nice.

The system I am installing it on is a celeron 1300 with 256 ram.
While sufficient, in the past it has not been the greatest for phrase
filtering, so I am primarily interested in banning ip and site lists, though
phrase lists would be nice as well.

Any advice, information, suggestestions whatever... would be greatly
appreciated!

nathan