New Linux user training?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed Feb 13 21:55:39 MST 2008

My father (actively retired and now at 70+ years old) has recently
purchased a new Eee PC.  He really likes it!  He surprised me and did
NOT order Windows XP to go with it.  I have been helping him with a few
things.  It has been an interesting experience.

One evening we were confirming that his 8GB SD card was working
properly.  He claimed it would not.  We discovered that the path to the
card when inserted in the system was /media/SD_MMC (or something like
that).  He wondered, of course, why it was not "drive D:"  And then he
made a comment to this effect:

"Am I going to have to learn lots of new things with this.  Maybe I
should just buy Windows for it since I already know that."

I am able to handle this situation.  I mean, it's my dad and I'll help
him.  I am expanding this experience to a wider picture.  I'd like to
hear about other experiences and ideas around new Linux user training.

What training resources have you seen work?

How can such training best be presented or used?

How have you overcome objections to learning or using Linux on the desktop?

And so on?

Alan