A wee bit OT: Yahoo! Rejecting Microsoft's Takeover Bid??? Whaaa?!

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Sat Feb 9 22:33:44 MST 2008

Craig White wrote:
> OpenId - seems a bit self serving...a perfect adjunct to Microsoft
> Passport ;-)

OpenId is starting to catch on, finally.  It is what Passport wanted to
be.  But, I really don't know very much about it beyond how great it's
supposed to be and the all the problems it's supposed to solve.

> What strikes me as funny is that all of the Yahoo Groups I've been
> involved with have mostly centered on entertainment but the ruby stuff
> and development stuff I've been involved with is all on Googe Groups.

Yahoo hosted the 2007 DrupalCon: http://groups.drupal.org/node/2750

Several of the Scrum groups are hosted on Yahoo, though that is not a
reflection of Yahoo as much as what people chose instead of Google
Groups or whatever other service.

> I have seen their javascript/css extensions but again, Google seems to
> just outdo them.

Google has the buzz.  Yahoo is trying to catch up.  If you watch this
talk at Google
http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=8795214308797356840&hl=en
somewhere in there Jeff Sutherland talks about how "friends up the
street at Yahoo" or something to that effect, are using Scrum.

For some reason, I think, from my ignorance based point of view, that
Yahoo has good engineering culture but can't show it so much on their
public site.  Maybe the management desire to be a "content company"
instead of a "service company" blocks the real innovation from coming
out.  This is just my perceptions from what I have see of the
engineering side and it's apparent disconnect from the experience at
www.yahoo.com.

> It's obviously me, I just don't seem to find myself doing much with
> Yahoo any more.

I don't much either except for Flickr.  Yahoo hasn't "messed it up" but
it's not a money maker for them either, or so I have read.

> If I ignore my disdain for Microsoft (which is probably on a par with my
> disdain for Apple), I'm trying to figure out if I really care whether
> Microsoft buys/merges/whatever with Yahoo or not.

I don't care too much except that I will move off of Flickr if it
happens.  Mostly because I think MS will start requiring MS technology
to use it.  The FS/OSS community is very resilient and will not be
harmed too much if Yahoo is pulled out.

Alan