A wee bit OT: Yahoo! Rejecting Microsoft's Takeover Bid??? Whaaa?!

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Feb 9 21:44:52 MST 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 21:18 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Alan Dayley wrote:
> > Craig White wrote:

> >> ----
> >> I know of their contributions to javascript/css but am not aware of any
> >> other contributions. Care to enumerate?
> >
> > A new ad tracker application on a BSD, OSS stack with a reasonable
> > estimate that Yahoo is probably the third largest user of FS/OSS with
> > Google and NSA rounding out the three:
> > http://www.interopnews.com/news/a-microsoft-secret-plan-for-yahoos-open-source.html
> >
> > A list of FS/OSS software in use at Yahoo:
> > http://www.windley.com/archives/2005/08/open_source_sof_1.shtml
> >
> > I do not know specific direct contributions but I assume all these
> > projects benefit from Yahoo's use.
>
> How about this too: http://developer.yahoo.com/
----
OpenId - seems a bit self serving...a perfect adjunct to Microsoft
Passport ;-)

What strikes me as funny is that all of the Yahoo Groups I've been
involved with have mostly centered on entertainment but the ruby stuff
and development stuff I've been involved with is all on Google Groups.

I have seen their javascript/css extensions but again, Google seems to
just outdo them.

It's obviously me, I just don't seem to find myself doing much with
Yahoo any more.

If I ignore my disdain for Microsoft (which is probably on a par with my
disdain for Apple), I'm trying to figure out if I really care whether
Microsoft buys/merges/whatever with Yahoo or not.

Craig