Proposal: new "plug-offtopic" email list

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Thu Feb 7 12:20:58 MST 2008

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 12:06:05PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> even worse - you are forgetting that some of the most interesting
> discussions that we have had have been essentially off-topic
> discussions.

This turns out not to be the case for some of us.

> and I want to point out that those who bemoan off-topic discussions
> typically involve themselves in off-topic discussions when the topic
> interests them and bemoan them when the topic doesn't interest them.
> I'll not mention names because it's not important and I think I made the
> point that being hypocritical is part of the human condition and not
> necessarily an indication of character flaw.

You're painting with an awfully broad brush. There are more subscribers
here than whoever you were thinking about when you wrote that.

> The real solution for mailing list users in dealing with messages that
> are uninteresting is the delete key. All other solutions are simply
> exercises in gymnastics.

The real solution is for long time subscribers like yourself to realize
the purpose and value of this list and show a little more restraint
about riding your hobby horse in inappropriate places.

I really doubt there's anything I or anyone else can say to change the
situation, and I'm tired of hearing about Windows, Apple, politics,
pets, and all the other stuff that's not about Linux or free software.
Once in a while is fine, but there's just too much of it lately.

You (with help from one or two others) have made this a less interesting
and friendly place. Enough so that I'm unsubscribing later today (I'd do
it now, but I wouldn't want to deprive you of getting the last word in,
if you desire).

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/