Proposal: new "plug-offtopic" email list

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Thu Feb 7 12:06:05 MST 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 11:55 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > list nazi's are the single most destructive force to a mail list
> >
> > The moment you create another list and then decide that discussion A
> > doesn't belong on this list and it must be moved to another list is the
> > day the list nazi's take over.
>
> A risk, for sure.
>
> > You are saying as much yourself but you are in denial if you think that
> > isn't going to happen.
> >
> > If you create the OT list, no one will subscribe. If you decide that the
> > only way to move the OT discussions is to tell people to move the
> > conversation, you in effect sanction list policing.
> >
> > You are proposing to destroy the list by allowing yourself to think you
> > are saving it.
>
> Interesting input.  Thanks.
>
> It is true that the list does not need "saving."  Nothing has happened
> recently that is particularly grevious.  Maybe I am looking to solve a
> problem that is not large enough to warrant the risk of harm by the
> solution.
----
even worse - you are forgetting that some of the most interesting
discussions that we have had have been essentially off-topic
discussions.

and I want to point out that those who bemoan off-topic discussions
typically involve themselves in off-topic discussions when the topic
interests them and bemoan them when the topic doesn't interest them.
I'll not mention names because it's not important and I think I made the
point that being hypocritical is part of the human condition and not
necessarily an indication of character flaw.

The real solution for mailing list users in dealing with messages that
are uninteresting is the delete key. All other solutions are simply
exercises in gymnastics.

Craig