5th undersea cable cut!

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Thu Feb 7 09:52:18 MST 2008

Joshua Zeidner wrote:
> On 2/7/08, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> A weaker dollar is not always a bad thing.  With a weaker dollar our goods
>> and services are more globally affordable.
>>

>   actually for folks like us a weak dollar is the greatest news we can
> get.  Weak Dollar = outsourcing no longer financially viable.  Also,
> all companies commited to platforms and organizations tied into
> outsourcing, specifically in India : costs++; .  Generally as the
> dollar weakens, companies will look more and more towards extremely
> cheap and cost effective platforms = LINUX + OSS.

What if companies start wanting to pay contract rates in Euros? :)
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN0655798320080206

>   re. cut cables: I don't think that they would do this to effect the
> oil trade in the long term.  It seems to be more of a short term
> tactical move of some sort, which to me is cause for alarm.

Yes definitely short term, since the cables should all be able to be
repaired within a few weeks. What are reasons to cut a countries
communication lines?  None of them bode well.