5th undersea cable cut!

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Thu Feb 7 01:27:30 MST 2008

Technomage-hawke wrote:
> This is the lesson of Nihilism that is being learned the hard way in the
> middle east. Perhaps them cutting themselves off is a good thing.

If they wanted to cut themselves off, wouldn't it be easier to just
unplug their routers? Do they even have the ability to cut undersea
cables?  Why doesn't someone just go around to all the countries that
have submarines and point blank ask, hey did you guys do this?
> in any case, it shouldn't be all that hard to reroute around the problem area.
> There is, after all, a huge surplus of "dark" cable that can be lit up for
> situations such as this.

What dark cable are you referring to? I believe the only "backup" cables
are also-live, lower-bandwidth ones. Looks like thusfar nobody has
re-routed:    http://www.internettrafficreport.com/history/267.htm