HDHomeRun + Basic Cable + MythTV

Erich Newell erich.newell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 16:03:05 MST 2008

An AMD2400+ with a Ti4200 should cut it as a Frontend just fine...but
don't look to record and watch at the same time with that system. I
can't recommend highly enough a multi PC solution for recording and
playing (backend + 'n' frontends).

On Feb 5, 2008 3:09 PM,  <chip33az at netscape.net> wrote:
> I tried a few settings, but I don't think I'll be able to do any more
> with it.
>
> I don't know if I should buy a new computer (tight on cash - upcoming
> wedding), or get an HTPC case and put my AMD 2400+ with Ti4200 in the
> living room as the TV server.
>
> Once I get some cash, I would then build a new computer for myself.
>
> Erich Newell wrote:
> > You may get away with your VIA EPIA M-10000 if you have an NVidia card
> > that supports XvMC. The oldest cards that do a good job with this are
> > the Ti4200 series (but not the 4600!!!) You can pick-up older cards
> > for super cheap on ebay that aren't good for today's gaming but will
> > do XvMC support very well...although there are some known issues with
> > XvMC and HD sized frames. Check the mythtv wiki for an accurate list
> > of which ones have xvmc support.
> >
> > I also know that there is XvMC for VIA...look in your deinterlacing
> > options an try a couple of configurations. You may be able to breathe
> > more life into it yet.
> >
> > My media box is currently a P4 3.0 ghz with 1GB PC3700 and an old
> > Ti4600. Its uses about 20-30% to play 720p / 1080i HDTV. I *was* able
> > to do the same on my old AMD 1800+ with a Ti4200 and XvMC until the
> > card died a year or so ago...so I built the current system with parts
> > lying around. So far so good.
> >
> > Another note: I have my server in the back room doing all the
> > recording...my media box pulls all its actual media across the network
> > from the mythtv backend, which in turn is pulling them from an
> > HDHomeRun.
> >
> > - Erich

"A man is defined by the questions that he asks; and the way he goes
about finding the answers to those questions is the way he goes
through life."