A linux list with a better signal to noise ratio?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Feb 4 21:01:53 MST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 20:42 -0700, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 08:10:36PM -0700, eric© wrote:
> > So the high school bickering is getting a bit old.  I'm finding myself
> > not even feeling like checking the folders that the PLUG mail is
> > filtering into.  Are there other lists that people like?  Also, is
> > there a PLUG list that just sends out event notifications and the
> > like?
>
> I know the feeling. I've considered proposing that we use "OT" in the
> subject to signal ON-Topic, since that's the rarer thing lately ;-)
>
> I subscribe to a fair number of mailing lists, and I don't always
> appreciate off topic posts. Others here subscribe to very few lists, and
> maybe only this one, so this may be a general discussion place for them.
> Normally it's ok. Lately it's been pretty bad. Hang on and wait it out.
> Hopefully it'll be back to normal in a bit...
----
actually, I don't agree as we've had our share of topical discussions
today.

the back and forth between JT and myself is easily deleted by those
uninterested and I hardly see it as a big deal. I actually thought it
was pretty funny that he circular'd the discussion to where it began.

And I think that is the point...life is too short to take everything so
seriously.

Moreover, if Linux is succeeding on the desktop (see my thread on dog
food), it was rather disappointing to see that between Friday night and
Sunday night, 6 out of 18 (33% were using Windows of one sort or
another), and only 10 out of 18 (56%) were using Linux.

Granted my sampling was insignificant numbers and 2 more Linux systems
hit the server today (along with a Windows repeat offender).

If this is the year that Linux takes over the desktop market, you could
fool me because PLUG gives no indication of that.

So Eric, feel free to weigh in on this topic or any other topic you
choose

Craig