Clean out my closet!

fouldragon at aol.com fouldragon at aol.com
Sun Feb 3 16:12:25 MST 2008

Got a few things of possible interest to PLUG members.

Email me for more details or to claim, many will go out to trash if I
don't hear from anyone.  You pick up, Lindsay/McDowell.  These first
three items, you can have for the asking.

1.  HP 6300c scanner.  Apparently works with SANE, but I wanted
something that works on both sides of the aisle (Vista AND Linux).  I
bought it like a week ago from ASU surplus and spent most of the time
getting it to power up but not work under Vista.  Damn HP's anemic
driver support.  Connects via USB or SCSI.

2.  DEC VAXStation 3100.  A little pizza box.  Internal configuration
is one floppy and two hard discs.  I have none of the right cables to
connect it to the outside world.  It does make an excellent monitor
riser for today's cheap LCD monitors which have tiny, un-adjustable
bases. :)

3.  C.Itoh CIT-101 terminal.  Big, bulky, yet retro-gorgeous.  Pulled
it out to test, seems to come up okay, but sometimes does weird things
(reports 'keyboiard error', or beeps repeatedly) but that could be
configuration issues or my home-fixed crossover cable.

4.  Sun Ultra 10.  Per the boot monitor, 1Gb 50ns memory, 440MHz CPU.
CD reader, SCSI+Ethernet card, no hard disc.  When connected to the
terminal above, it comes up fine.  Tries to boot off of network when
iit gets to boot monitor (which obviously fails when there's no network
connected).  Power switch seems to do nothing, but I suspect it's a
soft-power switch which needs to be configured a certain way (the
back-panel switch does work)  If nothing else, the memory and CPU will
probably be useful for someone else with a U5/U10.  This one, I'd like
$10 or equal value in your bizarre parts for.  I had grand visions of
running Solaris on it, but I never got the media kit I requested like a
year ago, and the other parts I wanted to use with it have gradually
become unavailable to me.

I figure I'd offer here over Craigslist because it probably means a
better home, and less whining when they can't figure out how to install
WinXP on an Ultra 10. :)