dvd writer not found

Jerry Davis jdawgaz at cox.net
Thu Dec 11 15:40:27 MST 2008

blank disc put in.
/usr/bin/cdrecord is symlinked to wodim
it was not suid'd (as root), so I did that, and
ran the command you suggested,
here is the output, all looks fine to me, so I will try to write.

jerry at frodo:~$ cdrecord -prcap dev=/dev/scd0
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'HL-DT-ST'
Identification : 'DVDRAM GSA-T50L '
Revision       : 'SR04'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.

Drive capabilities, per MMC-3 page 2A:

  Does read CD-R media
  Does write CD-R media
  Does read CD-RW media
  Does write CD-RW media
  Does read DVD-ROM media
  Does read DVD-R media
  Does write DVD-R media
  Does read DVD-RAM media
  Does write DVD-RAM media
  Does support test writing

  Does read Mode 2 Form 1 blocks
  Does read Mode 2 Form 2 blocks
  Does read digital audio blocks
  Does restart non-streamed digital audio reads accurately
  Does support Buffer-Underrun-Free recording
  Does read multi-session CDs
  Does read fixed-packet CD media using Method 2
  Does not read CD bar code
  Does not read R-W subcode information
  Does read raw P-W subcode data from lead in
  Does return CD media catalog number
  Does return CD ISRC information
  Does support C2 error pointers
  Does not deliver composite A/V data

  Does play audio CDs
  Number of volume control levels: 256
  Does support individual volume control setting for each channel
  Does support independent mute setting for each channel
  Does not support digital output on port 1
  Does not support digital output on port 2

  Does support ejection of CD via START/STOP command
  Does not lock media on power up via prevent jumper
  Does allow media to be locked in the drive via PREVENT/ALLOW command
  Is not currently in a media-locked state
  Does not support changing side of disk
  Does not have load-empty-slot-in-changer feature
  Does not support Individual Disk Present feature

  Maximum read  speed: 11080 kB/s (CD  62x, DVD  8x)
  Current read  speed: 11080 kB/s (CD  62x, DVD  8x)
  Maximum write speed: 11080 kB/s (CD  62x, DVD  8x)
  Current write speed: 11080 kB/s (CD  62x, DVD  8x)
  Rotational control selected: CLV/PCAV
  Buffer size in KB: 2048
  Copy management revision supported: 1
  Number of supported write speeds: 2
  Write speed # 0: 11080 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD  62x, DVD  8x)
  Write speed # 1:  5540 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD  31x, DVD  4x)

Supported CD-RW media types according to MMC-4 feature 0x37:
  Does write multi speed       CD-RW media
  Does write high  speed       CD-RW media
  Does write ultra high speed  CD-RW media
  Does write ultra high speed+ CD-RW media

NOW  I will try to do a write to the DVD