dvd writer not found

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Dec 11 15:23:12 MST 2008

> From: jdawgaz at cox.net
>> installed ubuntu intrepid
>> then I was going to write some files to my CD-RW, and the device is not
found.
>> it is installed as a scsi device, which might be the problem.

This probably isn't the real problem.

>> k3b says I can't use it to write, but read is ok
>> [    4.750131] ata2.00: ATAPI: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L, SR04

DVD+-R*s are pretty standardized now, so this is probably OK.

From: Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com>
> Is your disk media already written or bad? When you slam in recordable
media
> k3b should automagically ask you what you would like to do?

This depends on whether you've configured that to happen or not.  Ubuntu may
do this by default, but I wouldn't do it like that.

> Verify it via command line dvdrecord and cdrecord:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-160777.html

Also, note that Debian-based distros don't use cdrecord.  They use wodim,
which Joerg is constantly complaining about, and saying that it's horrible
and has tons of bugs.  So, make sure your cdrecord is SUID root (still
necessary since it locks pages into RAM AFAIK) and then do

cdrecord -prcap dev=/dev/scd0

...and reproduce the interesting-looking sections of its output for us.
You *may* want to go get the official cdrecord as well.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows