PostgreSQL vs. MySQL, was: MySQL premium services?

Mike Garfias mike at garfias.org
Thu Dec 4 17:50:23 MST 2008

mysqldump isn't a hot backup, it causes locks table and/or row (i cant
remember off hand which).  There is a myisamhotbackup or something like that
for MyISAM tables (why the hell would you use MyISAM?), but for a real table
you need the innodb hot backup thing that is commercial, and not cheap.
Also, MySQL replication isn't as trivial as you've made it sound in previous
posts.  A simple master->slave setup is pretty easy, but once you get into
more complex setups its definitely not easy.  Also, even the master->slave
type replication is by no means perfectly reliable, we have to run scripts
to keep slaves sync'd with the master as we've had problems with inserts not
making it into the slave.

Personally, I wish we were using PG at work, but then when it was tried
(years ago, before my time) it was found to be slow.  Of course, in talking
to the principals there, it became clear the box was memory limited, and not
tuned at all.

PG requires far more tuning than MySQL does.  I still like it better though.