Need a command or script

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Dec 2 16:35:53 MST 2008

Am 02. Dez, 2008 schwätzte Dazed_75 so:

moin moin,

> I know I could figure this out, and will tomorrow if no one gives me
> the answer in the next hour.  I have a file with many mv xxx yyy
> commands and want to make another file with mv yyy xxx commands so
> just need to swap the arguments.  I have to go do some things now and
> have a meeting tonight so would appreciate a reminder how to do this.
> I know it is trivial but just don't remember how right now.  Thanks in
> advance.

This command presumes there are no spaces in xxx and yyy and that yyy is
the last thing on each command line. Adjust as necessary.

$ echo mv xxx yyy | sed -re 's/ ([^[:space:]]+) ([^[:space:]]+)$/ \2 \1/'
mv yyy xxx

You could also use cut and some variable assignments.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Passwords are like underwear. You don't share them, you don't hang them on
#  your monitor, or under your keyboard, you don't email them, or put them on
#  a web site, and you must change them very often. -- Unknown