Ubuntu 8.10 and AD users

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Dec 1 10:23:32 MST 2008

From: Stephen <cryptworks at gmail.com>
> and to log in i do so (via likewise-open) as DOMAIN\user-name I can
> then access the machine just fine but normal user permissions any
> admin level tasks i want to do to the machine  i have to get creative
> or log in as a locally managed user.
>
> interestingly enough i can drop to terminal and then su to root but if
> the application i want has any X interaction it will not work.

Execute "xhost +local:" as the user who's logged in to X.  Then "sudo
bash" or whatever, "export DISPLAY=:0", and X apps as root should Just
Work.

> If i could somehow import the Users i want to give elevated access to
> the local machine i would know what i am doing from there. but the
> users that are authenticating from the domain are nowhere to be found.

ISTR something like libpam-ldap that'd allow people to authenticate
against an AD server.  However, I never investigated that fully as the
auth servers were typically Linux boxes.  I may have something like that
in my Usenet archives but won't be able to check that until after dinner.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows