Ubuntu 8.10 and AD users

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 10:01:48 MST 2008

well the user is me, i will be useing command line commands
intermittently and i would like to do so without having to switch
users/log out-in again

ill be sitting at the Linux box as it is hopefully to become my
desktop environment (replacing windows)

and to log in i do so (via likewise-open) as DOMAIN\user-name I can
then access the machine just fine but normal user permissions any
admin level tasks i want to do to the machine  i have to get creative
or log in as a locally managed user.

interestingly enough i can drop to terminal and then su to root but if
the application i want has any X interaction it will not work.

If i could somehow import the Users i want to give elevated access to
the local machine i would know what i am doing from there. but the
users that are authenticating from the domain are nowhere to be found.

the thread i started at the likewise forums have given me a start but
its having issues as well

http://www.likewisesoftware.com/community/index.php/forums/viewthread/80/

Stephen