KDE 4 and Kubuntu?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Aug 24 21:23:13 MST 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 21:12 -0700, Joshua Zeidner wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 9:08 PM, Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com>
> wrote:
>         Novell has re-upped with Microsoft, including the continuation
>         of
>         "intellectual property" FUD[1].  So, I've been patient because
>         really want to like Novell and I like OpenSUSE but, it's time
>         to move
>         on from the "Linux division of MS"
>
>         My most likely destination distro is Kunbuntu because of it's
>         strong
>         support, good reputation and my preference for KDE.
>
>   Welcome aboard!
>
>          I downloaded the
>         community supported version of 8.04 that has KDE 4 as the
>         default
>         desktop.  I'm curious as to it's stability.  If you have
>         experience
>         with KDE 4, especially on Kubuntu, please share with all of
>         us.  Has
>         it been stable?  Is it resource hungry?  Any other gotchas?
>          Did you
>         wish to go back to KDE 3.x?  Why or why not?
>
>   I started with Kubuntu, and moved to Ubuntu.  There are far more
> Ubuntu users and the packages, etc. have better community support.
> Unless KDE is a major req for you, I would suggest falling into the
> Ubuntu groove.
----
I've been using KDE 4 on Fedora-9 (I'm actually using the KDE-4.1
packages from updates-testing because 4.1 hasn't gotten out of testing
yet). 4.0.x left some to be desired on Fedora but the 4.1 helped smooth
out a lot of rough edges.

If you are hypercritical about desktop features, there is still a lot of
feature regression in KDE-4.1 but it's usable enough for me.

As for Kubuntu/Ubuntu...I don't understand the differences but I am
using KDE on Ubuntu (wasn't hard to get it all installed after original
launch in GNOME) but for now on Ubuntu, I'm only using KDE-3.5.9

Craig