Upgrading to Cox

Josh Coffman josh at computeristsolutions.com
Tue Aug 19 10:20:18 MST 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:09 AM, farli <farli at deru.com> wrote:

> I am finally in a position to upgrade my dialup service, along with
> finally getting something other than broadcast tv.
>
> I am looking at the Cox Bundle which provides Permier Internet access,
> digital cable, and digital phone.
>
> First, the website seems to imply that the phone service is over fiber,
> not copper.  Does that mean that I will no longer have to deal with
> phone outages because of Qwest copper wire shorts?
>
> Can I use the Cox internet connection without a firewall?
>
> I am not real proficient at setting up things like this.  Does Cox do
> all the setup?
>
> Any other info you guys can offer would be appreciated.
>
> ty
>
> Jim

I have that package.  You can use it without a firewall, but I don't
recommend it.  You will need a cable modem.  I bought mine 6 years ago
and had no problems; well worth the $60 instead of renting it from
cox.

Setting it up is really easy so long as you use DHCP to get your IP
address and other info.  Seriously though, I have a cable modem and
wireless router.  Both are reasonably priced at a local electronics
store.  Setup goes about like this:
1)  connect cable modem
2)  connect the firewall/router to the cable modem
3)  call cox to have them acquire your router and make sure the line is working.
4) plug in your computer with DHCP enabled to get internet access

w/o a router:

1)  connect cable modem
2)  plug in your computer with DHCP enabled to get internet access
3)  call cox to have them acquire your computer NIC and make sure the
line is working.

I don't know about copper wire shorts or anything, but I'm not aware
of any problems. Of course, my wife uses the home phone much more that
I do.

-j

--
Thanks,