Looking for ways to limit access to a Windows Program

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Mon Aug 18 21:50:58 MST 2008

Okay, this is a low-tech solution but what I did with my daughter was
give her a timer (a kitchen timer, but any would do) and told her she
has 1.5 hours on a weekday (after chores, homework, and practice).  She
starts it anew each day and is done when it goes off.  I trust her most
of the time but keep her honest by doing random spot checks.  That is,
I'll walk on by and silently note the time remaining.  I'll then come on
by, say, 15 minutes later and verify that 15 minutes has really
progressed.  That sort of thing.  She knows that if she ever "cheats" on
the timer that she'll be grounded from the computer (all electronic
devices, actually) for a week.  I had to do it once when we first
started this system and that was enough.  Works like a charm.