Wiki/Apache Issues

Michael Sammartano volinaz at cox.net
Sat Aug 16 08:49:39 MST 2008

GK>> <Skid marks>

Let me start over, I missed a crucial part! See below:

---- GK <gm5729 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay here is an update. Apache was totally borked on that last install. More
> like PHP was because that ended up being my main problem. With a nice and
> fresh Lenny install using the Lenny installer and not the Etch one and
> upgrading it seems like all is nice and stable. I now have a fully
> functioning TikiWiki :) Whoo hooooo......
>
> HOWEVER,
>
> My network setup is such that I am on someone elses network. So.... i MUST use
> 8080 instead of 80 and the main router/modem forwards to my router which is
> were my part of the network sits.
Ok, on you DNS "web forward", redirection, forward to your ip (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080)
Resolve names to http://mywebsite.xxx:70 Your DNS server may resist this part but that is ok, as long as the ip directs to 8080 all is good!
> I can access my TikiWiki through localhost
> fine. AND others can access vampypengy.ath.cx from outside fine. BUT I get a
> can't connect to host error.
I can not connect. I get a time out error also. I did however trace your IP to 63.208.196.110:
This tells me that the ports are not correct. SO, set you DynDNS up to web forward to port 8080 at your IP. Set "your" router to accept port 8080 and redirect (Port Forward) to your server on port 80 as I am assuming you went with defalt Apache install. If not, fine what ever port Apache is Listening on is where you want the router to forward traffic to. This should solve the problem rather quickly.
> It appears I need to set up BIND on the server I
> run to handle the forwarding of DNS properly. The Admin Guide for BIND is
> well written by Debian. The only thing is something must have changed between
> Lenny and Etch because the first command.. bindconfig does NOT work. And when
> I installed the BIND packages there were no config options even presented ..
> i e curses dialog boxes.
BIND should not have to be used, this is a router issue, unless the router you are using is a computer, just adjust router configurations.
> So any takers to help with this? I am way over my
> head but learning how to do networks and servers and all kinds of fun toys.
If needed, contact me off list at michael.s at iconnetworksolutions.com I should be available most of the day Saturday..

Michael Sammartano

--
Please visit